Meditate into wholeness. Connecting the physical body and the soul to the Earth and the Sky.
Sacred life, interlaced in every aspect of existence.
The Lotus Pose is emblematic of both Buddhist meditation and of yoga, and as such has found a place in Western culture as a symbol of healthy living and well-being.
Shiva, the meditating ascetic God of Hinduism, Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, and the Tirthankaras in Jainism have been depicted in the lotus position, especially in statues.
Artwork first featured on the 2015 KosmoKalindar.
Trivia & Conversation Starters
◦ The name Padmasana is from the Sanskrit पद्म Padma, “lotus” and आसन, Āsana, “posture” or “seat”.
◦ In Asian cultures, the sacred lotus is used as a symbol of growth towards perfection and enlightenment as it is rooted in the mud at the bottom of the pond, but rises and blooms above the water.
◦ Lotus is one of the yoga poses that most commonly causes injury.
◦ The variation, depicted in our design, is half-lotus, अर्ध पद्मासन (Ardha Padmasana), where one leg is bent and resting on the ground, the other leg is bent with the foot in the lotus position.
It is an easier meditation position than a full lotus.
◦ The scholar of religion Thomas Tweed wrote in 2008 that “the prevailing image of Buddhist practice has been the solitary meditator, eyes half-closed, sitting in the lotus position.
◦ The BBC journalist Megan Lane commented in 2003 that since yoga as exercise had become mainstream, lotus position (like tree pose) had been used by advertisers to sell “all manner of goods and services.” She noted that both “healthy living” goods such as vitamins, fitness clubs, water filter, and probiotic yogurt, and unrelated items such as cars, airlines, financial services “and even beer” have made use of images of yoga to convey a message of well-being.
Made from 100% organic ring-spun cotton, this unisex t-shirt is a total must-have. It’s high-quality, super comfy, and best of all—eco-friendly.
• 100% organic ring-spun cotton
• Fabric weight: 5.3 oz/yd² (180 g/m²)
• Single jersey
• Medium fit
• Set-in sleeves
• 1 × 1 rib at collar
• Wide double-needle topstitch on the sleeves and bottom hems
• Self-fabric neck tape (inside, back of the neck)
• Blank product sourced from China or Bangladesh
The sizes correspond to a smaller size in the US market, so US customers should order a size up.
This product is made especially for you as soon as you place an order, which is why it takes us a bit longer to deliver it to you. Making products on demand instead of in bulk helps reduce overproduction, so thank you for making thoughtful purchasing decisions!